Peter A. Muzinich
- University of San Diego – J.D., LL.M. in Taxation (1997)
- University of California at Santa Barbara – Business Economics (1993)
Area of Practice
- Business Law
- Tax and Transactional
- Estate Planning
- Real Estate
- Family Owned Businesses
Board or Community Involvement
- Board of Directors for the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Chairman of the Board of the Santa Barbara Youth Music Academy
- Board Member for the United Boys and Girls Club of Santa Barbara County
- Steering Committee Member of the Santa Barbara Scholarship Foundation (Business Technology Awards)
- Chairman of the Santa Barbara County Tax Section
- Tax Specialist – Certified California Board of Legal Specialization
Notable Transaction (Transactional) or Notable Cases (Litigation)
- Represented Deckers Outdoor Corporation with Secondary Public Offering
- Represented Santa Barbara Beach Hotel Partners with syndication and rehabilitation of Indigo Hotel
- Represented local multi-million dollar family business to complete a tax free split off into two corporations
Peter Muzinich focuses his practice on a wide variety of business, tax, and transactional matters, from advising start-up businesses on which entity to form to assisting established businesses with mergers and acquisitions. He also handles real estate transactions and tax controversy matters with the Internal Revenue Service and the California Franchise Tax Board.
A large portion of Pete’s practice is dedicated to estate planning, post-death administration and business succession planning for family-owned businesses. He is involved in assisting families and individuals with basic estate plans implemented to avoid court supervised probate administrations to multi-million dollar estates that are implementing sophisticated strategies to minimize federal gift and estate taxes.
Peter is considered by many CPAs and practitioners in the region to be one of the top experts in implementing discount planning for family owned businesses. He finds that it is very important to not only practice in estate planning but also to practice estate and trust administration such that the planning techniques that are implemented can be seen all the way through to completion and common IRS and other challenges can be fully understood and anticipated. Peter is especially qualified to handle estate planning for small and large business owners and executives who have a need to implement special provisions in their estate planning documents to conform to certain business needs and commitments.
Peter is a Tax Specialist, as certified by the California Board of Legal Specialization, and has served as the Chairman of the Tax Section of the Santa Barbara County Bar Association for the past eight years.
Peter received his J.D. and LL.M. in Taxation from the University of San Diego and earned his B.A. in Business Economics from the University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB) in 1993. While at the University of San Diego Law School, he assisted law professor C. Hugh Friedman in amending and updating the Rutter Group practice guide on corporations for two consecutive years.
Peter is currently legal counsel and on the Board of Directors for the Goleta Valley Chamber of Commerce. He is committed to youth-based community organizations and provides leadership as Chairman of the Board of the Santa Barbara Youth Music Academy, as a Board Member for the United Boys and Girls Club of Santa Barbara and as a Member of the Steering Committee for the Scholarship Foundation of Santa Barbara’s South Coast Business & Technology Awards.
Other community organizations Peter participates in are the Channel Channel City Club and the Southern California Land Rover Club. He also regularly gives presentations concerning estate planning, tax issues, and business planning.