Areas of Practice
Russell Terry’s practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions, startups/emerging companies, debt and equity financing, business ventures and general contract and corporate matters. Russell also represents managers of private equity and venture capital funds, and has extensive experience representing institutional entities and pension funds investing in domestic and international private equity funds, hedge funds and open-ended, commingled funds and accounts.
Russell provides his clients with practical and effective counsel, with a focus on achieving a client’s vision and business goals. Russell has represented dozens of companies in Seed, Series A and later financing rounds, and dozens more in successful exits to financial and strategic buyers.
Russell also represents managers of private equity funds, venture capital funds and other pooled investment funds in private offerings and investments in and dispositions of portfolio companies or other assets. Russell’s background in investment management enables him to provide key insight and advice to managers regarding fund structuring, investment terms and other critical items.
Russell is a native of Santa Barbara County. He enjoys living in, working in and contributing to a community that he knows and loves.
- 2017-2018 Katherine Harvey Fellow
- Mentor in UCSB Technology Management Program
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association Board of Directors
- Highest Honors and Distinction in Major, University of California, Santa Barbara
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Washington Law Review, University of Washington School of Law
- Represented Pacific Design Technologies, Inc., an aerospace company, in sale to AMETEK, Inc.
- Represented Boulder Scientific Company, a specialty chemical company, in investment by Quad-C Management, Inc.
- Represented SimpleLegal, Inc., a SaaS legal tech company, in Series A Financing led by Emergence Capital Partners
- Represented SimpleLegal, Inc. in sale to Onit, Inc.
- Represented Apeel Sciences, an agricultural tech company, in Series B Financing led by Andreessen Horowitz
- Represented Hollandia Produce, an agricultural company, in ESOP transaction with Mosaic Capital Partners and The SEAM Fund
- Represented emerging EdTech company in Series Seed-1 through Series Seed-4 Financing
- Represented emerging BioTech company in Series B Financing and Convertible Note Bridge Financing
- Represented emerging private equity fund in private offering of LP interests and in over 10 acquisitions of portfolio companies
- Represented emerging debt financing fund in private offering of LP interests and in over 10 debt financing transactions with tech companies
- Represented publicly-traded oil and gas company in financing workout with major institutional lenders
- Represented developer in multiple private offerings to fund the construction of assisted-living facilities
- Represented strategic purchasers in acquisition of pump and well business
- Represented hotel developer in construction loan financing to fund expansion of high-end boutique hotel
- California (2016)
- Oregon (2014)
- Washington (2009)