Areas of Practice
Robert specializes in high stakes corporate, real estate, commercial and employment litigation matters involving virtually every industry. He has litigated disputes over among other things, commercial and international contracts; real estate developments; real estate partnership disputes; single and class action employment claims on behalf of employers; and construction disputes.
Robert approaches litigation with a business perspective, acting aggressively when needed while seeking to apply out of the box practical solutions in order to resolve disputes quickly and in a cost-efficient manner so that his clients can get back to doing what they do best, running and growing their businesses. His clients come from a broad range of high net worth individuals and large institutional businesses in the real estate, hospitality, construction, technology, manufacturing and banking industries.
Robert’s business and practical approach to problem-solving and general business has resulted in Robert working outside the litigation realm as well and being retained to act as outside general counsel for some of the largest companies in the Santa Barbara area counseling them on their day to day business activities and implementing best business practices including:
- Marborg Industries
- Rusty’s Pizza Parlor
- The Vernon Property Group
- St. George & Associates
- Air Centurion Insurance Services
- Strategic Incentives.
- Santa Barbara Barristers – President (2013), Board of Directors (2010 to 2013)
- William L. Gordon American Inn of Court
- Santa Barbara County Bar Association – Board of Directors (2015)
- Bishop Garcia Diego High School – Board of Trustees (2016 to Present)
- Southern California Super Lawyers Rising Star 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Pacific Coast Business Times 40 Under 40 Class of 2015
- Prevailed at trial on behalf of institutional landlord St. George and Associates in class action brought on behalf of over 12,000 tenants regarding security deposit deductions and returns.
- Represented real estate purchaser in suit against title company arising from missed easement, which resulted in $1.8 million verdict on behalf of the purchaser.
- Represented manufacturer in suit against Chinese entity over trademark and trade secret misappropriation, resulting in the issuance of an injunction and favorable settlement.
- Represented bio-tech company against software developer to prevent disclosure of source code to third parties, resulting in an injunction and favorable settlement.
- Represented restaurant chain in a wage and hour class action involving more than 750 class members.
- Represented regional parking company in wage and hour class action involving several hundred class members.
- Represented manufacturer against multi-national entity alleging trade secret misappropriation and poaching.
- Represented individuals against foreign entities alleging international money laundering scheme.
- Represented educational institution in suit by 70 former students over alleged misrepresentations about school’s accreditation.
- Represented multi-family property owner in eight figure Fannie Mae Student Housing refinancing transaction.
- Represented AutoCamp in strategic partnership transaction to raise $115 million in equity commitments.
- Represented Mesa Lane Partners in an eight figure joint venture deal to purchase and develop a luxury resort.
- Represented real estate development firm in eight figure private equity raise.
- Represented aviation insurance company in seven figure capital raise from foreign investment partner.