Areas of Practice
Before attending law school, Kevin taught English in Japan with his wife and then traveled extensively throughout India, Asia, Australia, and New Zealand. During law school, Kevin was an editor on the law publication, The Digest, and a member of the Moot Court Honor Society. He was also a member of Syracuse’s Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition team. Prior to the merger of his law practice with Reicker, Pfau, Pyle & McRoy in January 2020, Kevin was a partner at the law firm of Hollister & Brace, P.C., where he practiced law for eleven years. He has two children and lives in Carpinteria, California, where he enjoys the outdoors, backpacking, hiking, surfing, fishing, and spending time with his family.
Kevin’s litigation practice focuses on resolving and litigating business and personal disputes in wide-ranging areas such as real estate, easements, leases, evictions, partnership disputes, contracts, employment disputes, mechanic’s liens, and construction related lawsuits. For over 11 years, Kevin has litigated and arbitrated cases in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, Los Angeles, and Riverside counties. If a case cannot be resolved, Kevin will be prepared to bring the case to trial or arbitration. Kevin’s experience in real estate and business transactions sets him apart from many litigators. He understands the nuances of real estate contracts, easements, leases, complex purchase and sale contracts, as well as the negotiation process involved in closing these transactions. He is able to use this perspective to assist him and his clients in litigation by understanding the full legal context, and the important background, of a legal dispute, which translates to cost savings, winning strategies and victories for his clients.
Kevin represents clients in all types of real estate transactions, from drafting thorough residential and commercial leases for landlords, tenants, and management companies, to representing buyers and sellers in large, multi-million dollar real estate acquisitions and sales, loans, and 1031 exchanges of commercial or residential property.
Kevin also advises clients on business formation, contracts, business disputes and partnership or shareholder disputes, business contracts, and other business matters.
- Santa Barbara Trust for Historic Preservation, Vice President and Member of Board of Directors
- Santa Barbara Polo & Racquet Club, Member of Board of Directors
- Past President and current Member of the Board of Directors, Garden Court, Inc.
- Editor on the law publication, The Digest
- Member of the Moot Court Honor Society
- Member of Syracuse’s Phillip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition team
The following are representative of Kevin’s legal transaction experience:
- represents client with over 2,000,000 square feet of office and retail space
- represented client in sale of improved property for $4.8 million
- represented client in purchase of improved property for $6.6 million, including complex I.R.S. Section 1031 exchange
- represented client in negotiation of loan documents for $5.88 million loan
- represented client in sale of $8 million apartment building
- represented client in complex I.R.S. Section 1031 exchange and improvement exchange for purchase of multiple replacement properties for partnership
- represented client in purchase of three replacement properties consisting of ground leases to complete I.R.S. Section 1031 exchange
- represented client in sale of $10 million ranch
- represented client in I.R.S. Section 1031 “improvement exchange” and purchase of $3.9 million property in Carpinteria. Client used exchange monies to improve replacement property to maximize use of exchange funds and tax savings
- represented client in with purchase of multiple multi-million dollar assisted living facilities in Texas, including negotiating complex loan documents
- represented clients numerous times in re-financing of complex commercial loans
- represented client in purchase of $5.78 million assisted living facility
- All California State Courts
- United States District Court, Central District of California
- United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals