Areas Of Practice
Diane Byun (CIPP/US) counsels clients on an array of commercial transaction matters, including mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, and compliance issues relating to data privacy laws and regulations with a particular focus on the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA). Diane also supports companies on matters involving data mapping, legal analysis of data processing, data breach notice letters, drafting privacy policies and terms of service, and general contract and corporate matters.
Diane’s legal career began with the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, where she held the position of judicial clerk to the Honorable M. James Lorenz. Subsequently, Diane practiced with Duane Morris LLP, counseling for-profit and non-profit entities regarding data privacy laws and regulations. Additionally, Diane advised clients on various commercial litigation matters in state and federal court.
As a law student, Diane honed her legal skills by working in a variety of sectors. As a clerk with Duane Morris, Diane analyzed personnel policies and practices to identify material risks to clients during pre-acquisition negotiations. Diane also gained regulatory insight as an extern with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission; transactional insight by way of her corporate externship with Ballast Point Brewing Company; and judicial insight as an extern to the Honorable John A. Houston of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California.
- University of San Diego Law, Alumni Diversity & Inclusion Committee, Member
- University of San Diego Law, Asian Pacific Islander Alumni Affinity Network, Co-Chair
- San Diego Human Resources Forum, “Employment Law, COVID, and Privacy – Oh My!”, Privacy Speaker
- Associate of Corporate Counsel, “The California Employment Law Landscape has Changed (Again!)”, Privacy Speak
- San Diego County Bar Association, Diversity Fellow
- University of San Diego School of Law, Employment Law & Technology, CALI Award
- Jackson Lewis Labor & Employment Scholarship
- Reexamining Reasonableness: Modernizing the Ellerth/Faragher Defense, UCLA Women’s L.J. (2021)
- Gravely Disabled: The Vestigial Prong of 5150 Designations, Marshall J.L. & Health (2021)
- Privacy or Protection: The Catch-22 of the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018, Loy. Consumer L. Rev. (2020)
- Certified Information Privacy Professional (“CIPP-US”), International Association of Privacy Professionals