Areas of Practice
Bruce is a founding Partner of the Firm. His practice focuses on the representation of industrial and hi-tech companies with respect to their growth and financing needs.
Bruce began his practice in Los Angeles representing electronics, computer and semi-conductor companies. Since moving to Santa Barbara in 1994, Bruce has continued his primary focus on representing industrial and hi-tech companies, expanding the technology base as the industries moved from hardware to software and to the bio-tech and material sciences fields. His 15+ years business practice with Spensley Horn Jubas & Lubitz in Los Angeles, a national intellectual property firm, provided Bruce an understanding of the unique issues facing companies working in rapidly changing and disruptive industries.
Since moving to Santa Barbara, Bruce has focused much of his community activities on supporting the existing and growing technology and, dare we say, industrial business in Santa Barbara.
- Current Chairman, Santa Barbara Hospice Foundation
- Professor, Business Associations, Santa Barbara College of Law (2008 to 2011)
- Pacific Technology Center and related Systems and Software Consortium, Organizer and Director
- General Counsel, Santa Barbara Technology and Industrial Association
- Chairman of the Technology Business Section of the Santa Barbara County Bar Association
- Editor, Columbia Journal of Transactional Law
- Lieutenant, SOSUS Command
Over his career, Bruce has represented clients with respect to their corporate, securities and tax planning for public securities offerings and acquisitions, including public acquisitions and financings by foreign corporations, and for issuers and investors in private financings and acquisitions of technology based companies. His clients include established, publicly listed corporations in strategic acquisitions of the target company or its IP rights, and private equity firms and individuals in transactions ranging from angel investing to strategic alliances and acquisitions. The acquisition transactions have included corporate restructurings prior to bankruptcy and acquisitions of targets from bankruptcy.
- Represented Ventura – based national manufacturer of industrial and building hardware in sale of business
- Represented materials science company in investment and R&D joint venture transaction with NYSE conglomerate
- Represented materials science company in multiple venture financing rounds and licensing transactions
- Led corporate and tax planning for structure of operational, licensing and financing transactions between foreign parent corporation and U. S. multi-state operations
- Represented publicly traded electronics company in structuring incentive compensation arrangements for R&D subsidiaries, established and newly acquired